The Lone Ortho

Marooned on a secular college campus, I created this blog for the dual purpose of venting and sharing my experiences, pleasant and otherwise. Join me as I traverse the treacherous terrains of galus; it's been a harrowing, yet worthwhile journey thus far. Feel free to partake in the smattering of snide remarks, random Paul Simon references, and utterly ridiculous CS jokes.

Thursday, July 22, 2004

Excuses, Excuses

It was only a matter of hours.  My very first night on campus, the Jew-crew invited me to go to drag bingo with them.  (Trust me; you don’t want me to elaborate.)  Before I could come up with a half-decent excuse, they asked me if I had a fake ID.  I didn’t—and still don’t.  Apparently you can’t play bingo without an infusion of alcohol, so you had to be 21 or older to go. Aww, *darn*.  I was saved by the “under-age” excuse yet again. Fortunately, I should be able to milk that excuse for the rest of my college career. (I will G-d willingly graduate by age 20.  Tis one of the advantages of starting college at 16.  More on that later) Just last week, my research team started pressuring me to go clubbing with them.  This time I was able to play the Jew-card to get them off my case.  Sadly, such was a rare instance.  Usually, I have to be more creative when I don’t want to be insulting….

4 Comments:

  • At 1:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Later in life you might regret not broadening your horizons when it was easy to do so in college.

     
  • At 2:11 PM, Blogger Devorah said…

    Hmm...because becoming utterly inebriated is an integral part of "broadening my horizons". And witnessing even more hedonistic indulgence than I'm already privy to will obviously help me later in life. Suuuuuuure.

     
  • At 10:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    There is a difference between "broadening one's horizons" and just doing something completely stupid and pointless.Broadening your horizons would be going to a secular college and taking classes in subjects you have no experience with and meeting people who come from very different backgrounds than you do. That is a good thing. Being stupid would be going to secular college and spending your time there experimenting with drugs and alcohol and doing other unmentionables that happen to conflict with every basic tenet of Judaism. That's not broadening your horizons, that's a waste of a good oppurtunity to learn. I would regret that.
    Eli7

     
  • At 12:09 AM, Blogger Devorah said…

    Eli7 -
    Touché!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home