The Lone Ortho

Marooned on a secular college campus, I created this blog for the dual purpose of venting and sharing my experiences, pleasant and otherwise. Join me as I traverse the treacherous terrains of galus; it's been a harrowing, yet worthwhile journey thus far. Feel free to partake in the smattering of snide remarks, random Paul Simon references, and utterly ridiculous CS jokes.

Sunday, August 15, 2004

Auditing My Tears

Upon my mother’s insistence, I went to see The Notebook last night. She had seen it a while ago with her friends and they all thought it was one of the most beautiful movies they had ever scene. (They rated it a 5-tissue event.) The other two women that accompanied her have since gone back to see it, this time dragging their husbands along. (As of yet, my father has still been spared). When Newsweek referred to it as "this summer’s sleeper” two weeks ago, I finally acquiesced.

Scanning through the crowd, I noticed there was not one Y-chromosome in the audience. This can’t be a good sign, I thought. Well, as far as chic flicks go, this is certainly one of the better ones. But I didn’t cry. Not a tear. My mom called me as I was walking out of the theater. “Did you love it?” she asked. My tepid response blew her away. (It should be noted that my classmates lend no credence to my reviews of movies ever since I mentioned to them that I fell asleep during Lord of the Rings….)

But I did shed a few tears earlier in the day when I certainly wasn’t planning on doing so.

This past Shabbos was Eli Klein’s aufruf. His father has been my doctor since the day I was born. They have lived around the corner from me (across the street from my dentist :-) my entire life. My family, like countless others, has come to depend on him as both a doctor and a friend. He came over immediately one Sukkus when I wasn’t feeling well. And it was only a matter of moments from the time I found out my grandfather had passed away suddenly until Dr. Klein (with my dentist in tow) was at my house, helping my father make arrangements. With the birth of my sister’s twins 3 months prematurely, we have come to rely on him even more, for both his expertise and his reassurance.

In shul Shabbos morning, Dr. Klein approached the door of the women’s section and motioned for me to come outside. A quick glance around confirmed what I had suspected: his wife wasn’t there yet. I ran outside and he handed me a basket full of candy bags. “Can you take care of this for me?” he asked. It was the least I could do.

With the layning and other fanfare over, R’ Gottlieb got up to speak. He mentioned that when the Kleins first moved to Baltimore, a more established couple took them under their wings and really helped them settle into town By the time Eli’s bar mitzvah rolled around, the husband of this couple was too sick to attend and asked that it be recorded so he would be able to listen to it. That couple was the kallah’s grandparents. A little more than ten years later, Eli is marrying this man’s granddaughter. Sometimes, he said, Hashem pays back kindness in this world as well.

R’ Gottlieb then proceeded to describe the Kleins community involvement. Since he is a pediatrician and she is a child psychologist, both have been very involved in all the local day schools. They have been arch supporters of P’tach and other organizations. My eyes were a bit watery at this point, but I still maintained my composure. But not for long. He reminded everyone that the Klein’s will be making aliyah in a couple of weeks. The Kleins are an integral part of my community—and those are mighty big shoes to fill. And then came the clincher: R’ Gottlieb articulated exactly what I felt. “If not for the fact that they are leaving for Eretz Yisrael, I don’t think I would be able to cope with the loss.” Then I could hold back the tears no longer.

On a lighter note, it looks like I’m going to have to get a new doctor, one who probably doesn’t give out stickers and lollipops :-(

2 Comments:

  • At 6:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    While you may not believe this, there are special people like that in NY too and watching them leave would be really hard for the community too, buti will say that one thing i did realize is that there are more people like that in israel than in america. now you may attribute that to the fact that i live in NY where you're convinced there aren't very many nice people, but... over my year in israel, after sharing shabbos tables and pesach sedarim and purim seudot with many israelis (most of whom were previously americans), i found that the people there are just amazing. they justs eem to have their heads screwed on straight and know what everything is all about and have their priorities in order. now i may sound like a post-seminary girl disillusioned with america and gung-ho about making aliyah (only part of which is true) but there is something different about the people there. i'm not sure if it's the fact that they live there that makes them special or just that all the special people move there. either way, from what you said the kleins seem to belong there.
    eli7

     
  • At 9:55 PM, Blogger Devorah said…

    Eli7 —
    I have actually met ehrlech NYers. As R’ Copperman would say there’s always a chutz mi… ;-)
    And you’re right, the Kleins will fit in perfectly in your beloved Beit Shemesh

    Barry —
    Welcome, welcome. And Todah Rabah!

    Leati —
    Hmmm…I don’t bite. But I do sting ;-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home