The Lone Ortho

Marooned on a secular college campus, I created this blog for the dual purpose of venting and sharing my experiences, pleasant and otherwise. Join me as I traverse the treacherous terrains of galus; it's been a harrowing, yet worthwhile journey thus far. Feel free to partake in the smattering of snide remarks, random Paul Simon references, and utterly ridiculous CS jokes.

Wednesday, November 24, 2004

Team Work

So here’s a hypothetical situation for you all to ponder. Let’s say 3 CS majors are assigned the task of coding up a networked version of Clue. Assume none of said individuals have a clue as to how a networked game works to the point than certain unmentionable members were blissfully unaware that 2 separate programs, one for the client and one for the server, needed to be written. Say one individual realized that if she didn’t take it upon herself to figure out client/server communication, her team would be up a creek with source code due in a matter of days. Say while the other members worked on graphic displays and game board logic, this chic took up residence in the computer lab, coded up the entire client, converted their applets into JFrames, and made the GUI in those frames functional. Well since only one person wrote the client code, and only one person understands the client code (this one person admits her aversion toward commenting complicates matters), guess who’s stuck writing the entire server? Doh.

3 Comments:

  • At 5:18 PM, Blogger Devorah said…

    I could give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you’re using a double negative to reverse your former accusation that I don’t know jack about your forte. Either that or you’re adding insult to injury by claiming I can’t parse client/server communication. So which one is it, eh?

     
  • At 7:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The same thing happened to me when I was in grad school in CS. No one else did didley, but I wanted to get a good grade, so I couldn't rely on the others to get their act together. - Yaakov

     
  • At 11:38 AM, Blogger Hi said…

    I had a similar problem last week in my Java class. The first project was a stock market simulator with graph and (for once since i'm the one who usually gets stuck with the work) my lab partner just decided to do the whole thing himself. The other guy in our team and I didn't write a single line of code.

    Fast forward to the next project when our horrible prof decides that the next project is a client/server application based on the first project that I didn't write and we have to do this individually. It was horrible trying to decipher someone else's code and I ended up spending about 20 hours straight on it.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home