The Lone Ortho

Marooned on a secular college campus, I created this blog for the dual purpose of venting and sharing my experiences, pleasant and otherwise. Join me as I traverse the treacherous terrains of galus; it's been a harrowing, yet worthwhile journey thus far. Feel free to partake in the smattering of snide remarks, random Paul Simon references, and utterly ridiculous CS jokes.

Wednesday, August 25, 2004

A Fairy Tale Event

The wedding, for interested parties, was awesome. Setting: the Sheraton Meadowlands. The kallah enters the scene bedecked in a custom-made gown by Vera Wang. She can easily be mistaken for a princess in a fairy tale. The chosson comes to greet her and he is beaming. I eye my friends. Wide smiles spread across our faces simultaneously…

Since there was only a small Mich crew present, Gelman and I really had to step it up a notch. We both changed out of our 3-inch heels into flats for dancing (warranting much high-fiving), sparing our own feet and protecting our fellow dancers from stiletto stab wounds. We even chopped in a few rounds of the Mich *dance* (think Elimor & Rudman at chagigas..…ah, good times…). I must say, the wedding was a really nice reunion…and we all agreed that we wanted a similar such reunion in the near future ;-) No pressure gals, but weddings are *amazing* (yup, using a sem girl word..uh oh) I must say one of my favorite parts of the trip was synchronized teeth brushing with Laners…we thought it ought to be an Olympic sport. No doubt we’d win gold ;-)

8 Comments:

  • At 7:11 PM, Blogger TRW said…

    "sparring our own feet" Freudian slip? Did you mean sparing?
    Glad you enjoyed...I went to NL's wedding last night (from the same town as us..;) ) and it was beautiful!! Her chasan played sax for her...I want my chasan to play a musical instrument for me at my wedding IY"H...let him know! ;)

     
  • At 7:12 PM, Blogger TRW said…

    Oh-and yeah-I have a pruple bruise on my foot...it still hurts :(

     
  • At 9:18 PM, Blogger Devorah said…

    It appears my proofreading skills are even worse than I thought. Ah, well...

     
  • At 7:04 PM, Blogger Eli7 said…

    ok, i'm going to at least partially ruin the fairy tale here and i apologize, but this vera wang thing really threw me off. VERA WANG? does anyone have any idea how much a vera wnag dress costs? probably more than a minimum wage earner makes in a year. now, i'm not dissing nice weddings, i'd like to have one too some day, but there's a difference between a nice wedding and a wedding that costs more than a house. and i suppose i do understand that if you have the money, you might as well spend it but even if one day in the future i have all the money in the world i'd like to think that i'll still have some sense. i mean, i might upgrade to banana republic (from my beloved gap) but even when i make partner in a big new york city law firm i don't think that i'll be shopping at versace. now, this is not a condemnation of this particular bride and is probably influenced by the fact that i've just spent a summer in the five towns where people spend more on their nails than the GDP of some countries, but really, you can't take it with you...

     
  • At 7:20 PM, Blogger Devorah said…

    Solution: Come join me in my lovely ol’ hick town. Not only will you not have to keep up with the Jonses (which is often why people spend so extravagantly, whether they can really afford to or otherwise), but you also won’t be attending any offensively ostentatious affairs down here.

     
  • At 7:31 PM, Blogger Eli7 said…

    sorry devorah, this new yorker wouldn't last a day in your hick town.

     
  • At 7:51 PM, Blogger Devorah said…

    I'm not mekabel. For the record, you have survived entire weekends—including a dira shabbaton is Silver Spring, which is an even bigger hick town than Bal’more. You’ll probably need to go up to NY to shop every now and then, but otherwise, you have great out-of-towner potential.

     
  • At 10:20 PM, Blogger Eli7 said…

    i don't think so. from kosher food to better shopping to more jews to more things to do, new york is the place for me. and perhaps i could survive a weekend (i guess that'll be put to the test again pretty soon), but i think that's about my limit. sorry, but i LOVE new york... and you should too!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home