The Lone Ortho

Marooned on a secular college campus, I created this blog for the dual purpose of venting and sharing my experiences, pleasant and otherwise. Join me as I traverse the treacherous terrains of galus; it's been a harrowing, yet worthwhile journey thus far. Feel free to partake in the smattering of snide remarks, random Paul Simon references, and utterly ridiculous CS jokes.

Monday, August 02, 2004

Turning My Back on Java

Hmm..you’d think writing personal tidbits would garner more comments. But no, a dry little piece about my annoyance at an indefatigable NullPointerException has thus far best succeeded in earning its keep. Surprise, Surprise.… Well in deference to my loyal readers, I will relate the outcome of round 2. In the spirit of full disclosure, I must admit that I got so fed up with evil Tomcat, JSP, etc that I turned my back on my beloved Java and rewrote everything in ASP. (FYI, I had already tried both tactics suggested in the comments section to no avail. I did nonetheless appreciate the effort of those who tried to help. :-) Lo and behold, after just some mild tweaking, I had a working web-survey!! Now, onto the hard part…

2 Comments:

  • At 1:22 PM, Blogger Avrom said…

    Admittedly, the ASP learning curve is much easier than the JSP learning curve. It would only be easier if someone was already fluent in Java. Also, Tomcat is not known to be the most easily configurable container.

    My suggestion for your exception woes, for learning purposes, is to ask why it is throwing a NullPointerException in the first place? In other words, the reason why is because you have a null object reference. But why is that the case? As soon as you figure that out, you'll be able to handle the situation.

     
  • At 6:14 PM, Blogger Devorah said…

    Locating the offending object wasn’t too difficult—it was an instance of the connection class. The only way that Connection could be null was if it wasn’t able to connect to the database. However, if it wasn’t able to connect to the database, it should have thrown either a ClassNotFoundException or a SQLException, both of which were accounted for in a Try/Catch. However, neither error was ever thrown. We were testing our files on Tomcat, which befuddled us even more, for, as you indicate, Tomcat it not exactly user-friendly. Since we had a deadline quickly approaching, we chucked the Java code and just converted everything into ASP.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home