The Lone Ortho

Marooned on a secular college campus, I created this blog for the dual purpose of venting and sharing my experiences, pleasant and otherwise. Join me as I traverse the treacherous terrains of galus; it's been a harrowing, yet worthwhile journey thus far. Feel free to partake in the smattering of snide remarks, random Paul Simon references, and utterly ridiculous CS jokes.

Thursday, August 05, 2004

Delightful Dining

Last night, I ventured to Sienna’s Pizzeria in Rockville with my research team. After quickly scanning the crowd, I mentioned to one of my “co-workers” how strange it was for me to go to a kosher restaurant and not know anyone, (this being a rare occurrence.) A few moments after the words escaped my lips, I spotted a guy who looked a bit out of place. Dressed in a nice suit and sporting a large velvet yarmulke and thick briskers, he stood in stark contrast to the rest of the, er, more *modern* crowd. Then it hit me—shidduch date. Scurrying past his table to fill my soda, I realized he happened to be sitting with a girl from my high school class. Weird. I couldn’t help but smirk when I noticed them eating their pizza with forks and knives. If Seinfeld could see them now… (I started wondering what was funnier: Watching them or thinking about one of my friends who ate sushi with a fork and knife since she was on a date. Hmm…toss up.)Let’s summarize here: they drove at least an hour and a half out of Baltimore into the middle of nowhere (Rockville: perfect for the modern Stone Age family) in search of some place where they’d go undetected…only to run into little ol’ me…Don’t worry, I behaved and kept my distance. It wasn’t till they were on their way out that she actually acknowledged me. Naturally, no outing with a secular group can conclude without a round of amusing questions: Last night’s included: “Deborah, do you also have to wear such fancy clothes to go to a pizza shop with a guy?” I was tempted to say. “Well, it depends on your circles..” I decided a simple “No” would suffice.

4 Comments:

  • At 3:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It's not even worth trying to go unseen in the small orthodox community that is the United States. resistance is futile. the rule is that you will always see the people you least want to see. always. give up. Though there are certain measures you can take to reduce these odds - for instance, if you go on a date in the 5 towns, you will probably see EVERY person you don't want to see (even if you're not from the 5 towns) - but really, you should just give up. driving an hour and a half away is just not gonna do it. This story is proof positive, but i think we already knew that...
    Eli7

     
  • At 9:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You also have to post the happy ending-they're engaged now! :)

     
  • At 3:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh oh!!! You were supposed to tell meeeeeeeeeeee!!! Wahhahahahaa~ That is soo sweet. =D It feels good to be in the presence of a happy story. =) =) =)
    -99 (JJ)

     
  • At 5:57 PM, Blogger Devorah said…

    Welcome JoJo!!!! I’ve been waiting for you to start commenting :-) I was, er, just testing you to see if you were still reading my blog. Right. That’s why I had to post it instead of telling you directly. Um, ya..that’s it ;-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home