The Lone Ortho

Marooned on a secular college campus, I created this blog for the dual purpose of venting and sharing my experiences, pleasant and otherwise. Join me as I traverse the treacherous terrains of galus; it's been a harrowing, yet worthwhile journey thus far. Feel free to partake in the smattering of snide remarks, random Paul Simon references, and utterly ridiculous CS jokes.

Thursday, October 28, 2004

An Exaggeration of Epic Proportions

A quote from a letter printed in the latest edition of the Commie:
"Without a vibrant Yeshiva University, religious Judaism in America will cease to exist.”
Give me a break.

3 Comments:

  • At 1:46 PM, Blogger Eli7 said…

    From atop my Ivy tower, i would contend - as does the author of that letter - that YU is a great palce for a lot of people. I have many friends who go to Stern and are happy individuals. I do not think they're not as smart or dedicated or anything else. On the contrary, they are my friends because of those very qualities. However, Orthodoxy (modern or otherwise) existed well before YU and will exist long after YU falls into oblivion, and there are very, very many dedicated frum people who deliberatley chose not to go to YU. Is YU a great place for some people? Yes, without a doubt. BUT one should leave a yeshiva high school and a year in Israel with enough dedication toward Judaism to survive and thrive anywhere. If YU is the best place for you to thrive, then kol ha'kavod - I personally do not look down on any YU student merely for the fact that they chose YU. But YU is not the bastion and stronghold of American Orthodoxy that the author tries to claim it is. I'll second Devorah's response of "Give me a break."

     
  • At 5:06 PM, Blogger TRW said…

    I'll third it, and just include that for some people, YU is a lowering of standards-don't attack me now for intolerance-I DIDN'T say I think it's on a lower level, etc., just that it's definately NOT for everyone-and I know people who have been burned..or turned off from Judaism-there is NO perfect way, and that includes YU

     
  • At 4:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

Post a Comment

<< Home