The Lone Ortho

Marooned on a secular college campus, I created this blog for the dual purpose of venting and sharing my experiences, pleasant and otherwise. Join me as I traverse the treacherous terrains of galus; it's been a harrowing, yet worthwhile journey thus far. Feel free to partake in the smattering of snide remarks, random Paul Simon references, and utterly ridiculous CS jokes.

Thursday, August 05, 2004

Life Lessons

As part of my summer program, I had to endure an afternoon with Lockheed Martin. Fortunately, I wasn’t seated *too* far away from one of my friends, so we started *passing* notes (read: engineers build mighty nice paper airplanes ;-) The discussion turned toward the party on the previous Friday night which I avoided by escaping home for Shabbos. Excerpts:
30 beers
½ gallon of punch
bottle of wine
+ 15 people
-------------------------
fun for everyone


Sounds like fun, right? Well, midway through the event my friend remembered the klal that “ wine + liquor = BAD..” Now, I’ve lived through enough traumatic Purims to know that mixing drinks is a sure way to make you sick. Well, I used the ol’ “I don’t drink and I know that. Boo-ya!” shtuch. Well, my friend decided to enlighten me further:

“Well, it’s actually the order that matters:
Liquor before beer—you’re in the clear
Beer before liquor—makes you sicker”

You learn something new everyday, I guess….

5 Comments:

  • At 8:58 AM, Blogger Keren Perles said…

    Oy! And this is the "don't worry I'm okay in this environment" environment???

    Jk...I know you can take care of yourself...not that Goucher's any better...or UMBC for that matter...

     
  • At 11:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    College is college, but there is nothing like watching other people drunk to deter you from ever wanmting to drink.
    Eli7

     
  • At 1:40 AM, Blogger Devorah said…

    Actually, I’ve never actually witnessed anyone drink to the point of utter intoxication. Well, besides Purim that is….

     
  • At 1:42 AM, Blogger Devorah said…

    Come to think of it, I believe the last time I was in the presence of inebriated college kids was when I was in your dorm, Eli7..

     
  • At 7:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    and would you want to be anything like them? i don't think so. QED.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home